Monday, September 7, 2009

I don't know why, but I can't enjoy breakfast anywhere but a strip club

I never eat at home enough. Well, that's not true; I never have food at my place enough. I run out of groceries and might go a week or two on Ramen and take-out. This is good and bad, for mostly obvious reasons:

Bad - costs more dinero, overall bad for my health, and a pain - compared to being at home and going to the kitchen (this excludes going out to eat with friends/family/date/work).

Good - Chicago has great food, lots of it. I can get any type of food delivered. Also, less clean-up (though not very 'green', but more on that down the road).

So this all came in my cross-hairs when I was thinking of great places I've eaten that have small spaces, just like my tiny kitchen. Here are the 5 Best Places To Eat, That Are Smaller Than My Apartment (well, probably not literally, but damn close)...the best "holes in the walls":

Algonquin Sub Shop (way the fuck out in the NW burbs of IL, toeing the white trash line) - best sandwich shop, consistently. They specialize in hot subs (yes gang, better than Yello Sub). I've eaten there a dozen or so times, and have only ordered off the regular menu once. Every other time, it's the Special of the Day (standing to-go order for my family, should they happen to go sans me). Always great.

Duck Walk (Thai place up the street from me. I'm pretty sure it's located between an Indian restaurant and a Moroccan restaurant) - the entrees and soups are good, but I love their appetizers. They're just disgustingly good to me; the Crab Rangoon rivals Shine and The Thai Place(KC), and the baby egg rolls are just bite-size shrimp, fried. I've had that, and their chicken satay and pot stickers as a meal...more than once.

New Japan (located in the armpit of Santa Monica Blvd. and the 405, LA) - there teriyaki is heaven to me. I've eaten beef all over this great country (Chicago, KC, Denver, Texas), and if you were to ask me how I would like it made for my last meal, I want it made to taste like New Japan's beef teriyaki. Same for the chicken (and their miso salad dressing is spectacular as well).

Big Jo's (some burger stand located in what looks like a parking lot in Santa Monica) - "Big Jo" is a tiny Asian lady (sweet as can be), who heads this burger stand. Burgers are phenomenal, along with everything else cooked on the short-order grill. Try the Vegas burger - their cheeseburger with a slab of ham on it. An old delivery driver, for a patio furniture store I worked for, and I used to eat this way too much (and then he and I would go deliver shit, drive down to the marina and smoke dope and drink beer - and then I would go back to work in the store! The owners were never there and the clientele were pretentious pricks anyway, be cool).

Town Topic (my place may really be bigger than this 24-hour quickfire, located in a shadier part of downtown Kansas City, which if you know KC, is pretty much all of "downtown" but I've heard that things are changing) - always great, and in a city with great, thin-style burgers (a la Culver's), these are probably the best (sorry to the 3W's: Winstead's, Wylie's, and Wimpy's [all real, or were, all very good in their own right]). This is what you eat after the bars have closed, the party has died, and you're either post-fuckin' or sans-fuckin' for the night.

If you see these places in your travels, I suggest you grab a chair/stool/lean and try some for your self.

1 comment:

Tony Monley said...

I like watching what your brain barfs up.